WORK-LIFE BALANCE - Why You Should Plan Your Family vacation
31-Jul-2014.By: Funmilola Sipe
Photo Credit: www.ebony.com
Families are very crucial to one’s success. Having a healthy family relationship can balance one’s career. Families are the people who know and accept everything about us. They rejoice at our successes and share the sorrows of failures with us.
Nowadays, every family member seems so busy with work, school and activities that they don’t get adequate time to interact with each other even though they stay in the same home. This has made family vacations extremely important. The same way companies go for conferences outside the the Organizations’ environments to more relaxed environments, families should also plan for vacations at least once in a year to break away from the daily demands of juggling work and home. Time with family is needed and should be craved.
The focus on family plays a strong role in our society. Some people manage to do it from home, although a change of surroundings often helps one to disconnect from daily concerns.
Some Nigerians think family vacations are a waste of money, yet to some it is not as important to the health and well-being of family but it has been proven that it is healthy to take a break from the daily demands of work and home. No matter how simple or extravagant the vacation, the act of getting together with family members is very exciting.
Remember, your kids won't be kids forever so enjoy every stage of their growth. Time with Family is PRICELESS!!!
It is necessary to consider the benefits of family vacations so that we can redefine what it means:
- Family Vacations enriches Relationships: Spending time together enhances marriage which strengthens family foundations. Family members tend to spend more time with each other; do like-things like eating, hanging out, playing, relaxing etc.. They also get to learn new skills, discover new interests, share thoughts and get to know each other more. Remember, the family that plays together, stays together... A family vacation can do wonders in promoting togetherness among family members. It helps in building healthy emotional bonds between family members. Family trips are a great way to get to know family members more deeply and to spend some quality time together outside of our normal routine interactions in our day to day lives. During a vacation, children consider you more like a friend or playmate and discuss things with you more freely. You too can find a friend in your child during these times.
- Family vacations boosts self-confidence in Children: Children raised in a healthy marriage understand love, support and safety which make them more confident and successful. Family vacations are particularly good for children. It exposes them to new places, culture and people. It helps each person in the family develop as good human beings. It enhances their knowledge and widens their vision. It reduces their fear of the unknown. However, it builds self-esteem in children.
- Family Vacations enhance knowledge and widens visions: Travel is an excellent learning tool for kids. They can have the opportunity to learn about things first hand they may have learned in school, read about or saw on TV. Family vacations will teach children about different cultures, food, history, geography, climate, environment and so much more. The best part is that its way more fun for them then learning it through homework! It helps you see new places and explore new cultures. It helps each person in the family develop as good human beings.
- It improves physical and mental health: taking a good amount of time away from the stresses of daily life can give us the break we need so that we can return to our lives refreshed and better equipped to handle whatever comes. It relieves the mind off the fatigue of professional life as well as everyday life. Vacation helps shrink stress and anxiety while also boosting the mental and physical health of the entire family. We all need a brain break, a detour from deadlines and a timeout from technology! It takes effort to unplug from the ever-spinning world around us, but one's mind, body and spirit will be renewed by re-plugging into the joys of quality time with family.
- Vacations Can Help With Your Job Performance: As a study suggests, the psychological benefits that come with more frequent vacations lead to increased quality of life, and that can lead to increased quality of work on the job. Also, studies have shown that the person who vacations and takes time for themselves and for their families is a more productive worker. A well rested mind and body can function more efficiently.
Last Updated: 30-Jun-2016 07:39 PM