06-Apr-2016.By: Incurable Optimist
The current fuel scarcity in Nigeria is biting hard, so hard that we find it difficult to either transport ourselves to the workplace or back home (either by public transport or in our private vehicle). Even at home, electricity supply is epileptic, yet we cannot even get fuel to power our generators and have a decent relaxing time. Stress level is on the surge and frustration seems nigh. What a period!
But hey! We are still alive. We still have life and we have to protect it cautiously by staying safe. Remember the first law of nature – STAY ALIVE. When there is life, there is hope (of a better tomorrow).
Two different fire incidences were reported on Naij.com today. The report reads…
Tragedy struck in Lagos, Nigeria last night as overnight fire roasted four people and destroyed properties worth millions of naira. A fire outbreak at number 5 Adebiyi Street, Somolu Oja razed the entire house and killed a father and two daughters. The fire was said to have been caused by indiscriminate storage of Petroleum Premium Spirit (PMS) by the father.
Another fire incident at 48 Oyedele Street, off Liasu Road, Egbe claimed the life of an adult male. Mr Rasak Fadipe, Director, Lagos State Fire Service confirmed the tragedy, saying that the name of the father and two daughters roasted by fire are Mr Shade, and the two daughters, Adura 16 years and Mistura, 18 years.
According to Fadipe, they were cooking close to the place they put a keg of fuel, which exploded and killed the three people. Fadipe warned Lagosians not to store fuel at this period as such act was very dangerous. He also advised landlords to ensure that their tenants did not store fuel in their houses.
On the other fire tragedy, the fire boss said a grandchild lit a candle and went out to play as the candle fell, leading to an outbreak of fire which consumed the grandfather. He appealed to Lagosians not to use candles in their houses as several fire cases had occurred as a result of candlesticks.
We, therefore, want to use this opportunity to advise everyone to avoid storing Petrol at homes. Petrol is a dangerous substance; it is a highly flammable liquid and can give off vapour which can easily be set on fire and when not handled safely has the potential to cause a serious fire or explosion. This means there is always a risk of a fire and/or an explosion if there is a source of ignition nearby, for example, a naked flame, an electrical spark or similar.
Remember that no matter how careful you think you are, you may have other people in your house who may not be as careful as you. There can also be other factors beyond your control that could also trigger an ignition, like an electric spark. This can cause a serious fire outbreak.
Keeping petrol or diesel in closed containers can also create a risk of explosion. That risk is minimised by the design of vehicles, but plastic or metal containers can create problems. The biggest danger, though, is getting the fuel in and out of the containers and into your vehicle’s tank.
Decanting even a small amount of petrol or diesel in an enclosed space is a bad idea, as the fumes can fill that space very quickly. A spark or naked flame can then cause ignition – and an explosion and fireball. Just turning a light switch on in a closed garage filled with petrol fumes can be enough to cause disaster.
Here are a few other tips about fuel storage;
Last Updated: 13-Jul-2017 10:09 AM
Copyright 2014 Fidson Healthcare Plc